Applying to a Gap Year at SEA
SEA welcomes applications from high school graduates who have not yet matriculated at a college or university and have an interest in understanding the ocean and environmental issues from a variety of perspectives. Participants in SEA programs include students who have chosen a gap year, have been accepted to college for a subsequent term, or have chosen to defer. Students can choose to earn a full semester of college credit or opt to participate on a non-credit basis. We take a holistic view of each student’s application through their academic record, submitted references, and motivation and goals for the selected program.
Review our Essential Eligibility Criteria. to be sure SEA is right for you.
All programs operate on a rolling admissions basis, meaning we review each application once all materials are submitted and considered complete. Each SEA program has a limited capacity with a maximum of 24 or 25 students. We accept applications up to one year in advance and encourage students to apply early since some programs may fill before the stated deadline.
Access the online application portal, and you will be guided through the process. You will be required to submit:
- Online application form
- Official high school transcript
- Two references
- An academic writing sample
- Short answer essay questions
Once your application is complete, you will schedule a short interview with an admissions staff member. Admissions decisions are made generally within two weeks of completion of the interview.
- Contact Admissions. We can help you clarify your goals and discuss gap year options.
- Choose your program. Identify whether the credit or non-credit gap program is the best fit for you. Be sure to check with any colleges to which you’ve been accepted to understand their policies related to deferral and transferability of credit earned during a gap year.
- Complete your online application.
- Consider your funding options. Determine how much you and your family can contribute towards the cost and explore availability of external scholarships and possible use of 529 plans. The SEA financial aid application process takes place after you’ve been accepted and is completed through the same portal.
- Apply for a valid passport if you do not already have one since you will need it for the program and waiting times may be extended.
- Get ready for an amazing gap year experience on shore and at sea!
- Financial aid priority deadline: April 15
- Application deadline: August 1
- Financial aid priority deadline: Oct 15
- Application deadline: Nov 1